Friday, October 21, 2011

Chefchaouen, on the top of Rif Mountains.



Chefchaouen, is located in the south of the city of Tetouan, northern Morocco, dominated by the Rif mountains.
Charming and traditional, Chaouen is paint of blue!



I spent here the best days of all my travel in Morocco, the atmosphere here is different, a weird air of tolerance and freedom. The answer could be quite easy to be found. The reputation of this small village is connected to the marijuana growing, all around the mountains. Quite funny to see how the local population seems to dont care too much, instead in Morocco drug use is scourge.
The beauty of all the small street of Medina (the old town) is absolutely catchy. The mosque singing with the sunset, and then the magic silent looking at the mountains around you is a perfect end for your day.



What you dont have to miss are the cascade!
I took a taxi to go there, but for be sure that he would come back in the evening to bring me back Chaouen i asked to the guy of the hostel, need to be clear on that with the time, there arent taxi there!
The drive until the mountains was the first part of the day adventure, literally! The dirt road were simply scary, and even i was laughing on the fast driving of the taxi driver, inside me i was just praying to get there more then safe, alive!
Once that i arrived, i realized that the cascade still far. More then 2 hours by walk though the mountain path, found out that is better to dont venture alone, a little kid become our guide for some money.
Hot temperatures didnt help me to walk, definitely trekking is not for me. And after that the kid indicated me at the other side of the mountain a "big animal" seems like a lion mountain, my walking get faster!





When finally the cascade was in front of me, all of this worth it.
There were even some tables, and other guys simply happy to be there, and with reason. The place was amazing, and also a natural swimming pool just before the fall. Have a swim there with the pure and so cold water gave me all the energy  i lose walking. A perfect day that i truly recommend you.





No comments:

Post a Comment